Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A bit of everything

After my race on Sunday I felt great. I was bothered about my knee though. Went to my doc on Monday, he said it was a bit of overuse and did some laser. But then on Tuesday I went to a very good physiotherapist (sp???) in Sabadell, near Barcelona. He works with the Futbol Club Barcelona (Barça) doctors and is very good. He's been in the sport's injuries "business" for 35 years and knows what he's talking about. So I left work at 1 and headed to Sabadell. Got there, took me ages to park but finally managed, got there and waited patientlly while I read "Magical Running", what a great book! I read more of it once sat on the "bed" but waiting for him to see me.

In the end he comes and asks what the problem is. Before I can say anything, he says "too much calf". I tell him about how I started running 4 and 1/2 years ago and how it all went and what I've been told and all the tests I've been through and all I've done. I also told him I was told my achylles tendon was too short but he said, it's not that, he said my calf muscle is huge and the tendon can't cope with all that muscle... finally someone that agrees that my calves are huge (and horrible, although he didn't say that, LOL). I've always hated my legs, they look ugly and big. I've always "blamed" mom for taking me to ballet lessons when I was little but I guess it's my build, full stop. He also said that if I was a weight "thrower" or a speed runner I'd be good but doing long distance makes my muscles tight. To make a long story short, it seem like my very first diagnose was good: shin splints, yes, as simple (or not) as that, and they've been piling up over the years and now I have lots of liquid in there and we need to realease it. He did a sort of massage on the tibial bone... OMG... I saw new galaxies and planets... it was soooooooooooooo painful! He said I have to do this myself every day... geez... I must apply cold gel and press my thumb upwards along the bone to undo all the knots that are there. My legs are still so sore today (to the touch) where he pressed... oh my! He said to stretch my tibials a lot and my knees, I'm to use warming up gel before running, apply this special tape on my shins, then apply ice right upon finishing my run and then apply the cold gel and pressure on the bone to untangle what's tangled up! He never said anything about rest or stoping. He was soooo cool!

So, I went to the bike path today. I did a short run. The temperature was great, even hot I'd say! And I had no pain, no bothers... it was great! Hoping to go to Banyoles tomorrow and I'm planning on doing 2 laps around the lake. That's about 12,5km. Hopefully I can do it!

So, all good news I think. Also, I am eager to do my first half... possible dates are: Feb 6th, I'm already signed up but Paula's competing that day and might not be able to do it. Feb. 13th, a flat half near Barcelona (on the other side of me), March 20th, another flat half near Barcelona (on the side closer to me) and then first or second Sunday in May the half in Girona. After my exams on Dec. 12th my PT said we'll start upping mileage to see how I do. I'm so excited! I work so much better with a goal ahead... I just follow the carrot!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jacky - that massage sounds horrific! But at least you can keep on running. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete