Sunday, April 10, 2011

We Run Barcelona!

Hi! Another edition of the Cursa dels Bombers in Barcelona, was held today... 20,000 runners in bright yellow t-shirts invaded the streets... it was amazing!

I did a short training run on Thursday, 4Ks, just a little something. This am, the alarm clock went off at 6:30, got up, fed Pol, showered, got dressed and headed to Barcelona. Met my brother and headed to the race site.

Seeing lots of bright yellow t-shirts was very encouraging. Got there... thousands of people... 17706 finishers... wow! It was very very hot already before 9am and when the race started at 10 we were all sweating and I had already poured a bottle of water over my head :o

I suffered and I enjoyed the race today. I was tired... I've not been sleeping properly and I could tell, still I went ahead, moved by the cheering crowd... it is wonderful how they put animation all over the city: music, drums, bangers... breathtaking really! K2-3 there were volunteers clapping and cheering along with trumpets and whistles, K5-6 drums and more drums... K9 more and more drums... upbeating!

The other side, which was scary to me was seeing lots and lots of people get dizzy, pass out, throw up... I have seen people faint or get dizzy before but not what I saw today... 30 at least... impressive to say the least... guess it was the heat, we're having a sort of a heat wave, temps have climbed a lot over the last days reaching well over 30ÂșC. I don't think our bodies have had the time to get used to that. I just hope that everyone is safe and sound now.

Disappointed a bit with the result, then again, another 10K under my belt done in 1:10:10, 34:30-35:30, looking at it that way, it even is cute ;)

Organization was perfect, just like last year, volunteers amazing, animation awesome... definitely going back next year :D

No comments:

Post a Comment